Google Analytics is free, and reveals scads of useful information about how users find and interact with your website. Rebecca Reser will walk through Google Analytics and share some best practices.
Watch What's Happening with Google Analytics
Google provides lots of free, useful tools. Google Analytics is a free (for most sites) metrics platform that sheds light on many dimensions of user behavior on your site.
Just a few of the insights Google Analytics provides:
- The keywords users typed in Google to find your site
- Which countries and cities the users visiting your site are from (or at least, where their Internet service providers are located)
- What technologies they're using: mobile devices, operating system versions, browsers, screen resolution and more
- The pages that are most popular, and which ones users stay on the longest
- Where users lose interest or leave your site
In this coming Firecat First Friday coworking & brownbag session on August 3, Rebecca Reser will lead a discussion and walkthrough of Google Analytics, including:
- Creating a free Google Analytics code
- Where and how to embed it on your website(s)
- Integrating into WordPress with a plugin
- Metrics every web owner should monitor and understand
- Decoding and capitalizing on seasonal, weekly or daily usage patterns
- Excluding "internal" traffic (erasing your own footsteps)
- Setting and tracking business goals in a dashboard
We'll also discuss what Google Analytics CAN'T tell you (or anyone) - why the numbers show what they do -- and how to intelligently guess, infer and deduce what's happening from the numbers.
Friday, August 3, 2012
Coworking (open house, just hang out and work) 10:30 am - 3:30 pm
Lunch discussion Noon - 1:30 pm
Firecat Studio 918 Nolan #104, San Antonio, TX 78202
You're welcome to come get some work done anytime between 10:30 am and 3:30 pm, just like working from a coffee shop but with cooler people and free coffee. Yes, you are welcome to invite others, but there's limited space, so make sure your friends register!
Coworking in September
On Friday, September 2, we'll explore how Evernote can help you organize just about anything, from receipts and notes, to-do lists and reminders, to projects and photos.
As always, please feel free to suggest upcoming brown bag topics. Thanks!